Saturday, August 21, 2010

Coming down from the mountain

I've been home a little less than three hours from a training session for EfM mentors that started on Thursday at 2pm and wound up today (Saturday) at 2pm. we spent 18 hours in class, learning how to do administrative stuff, figuring out how to do theological reflections and common lessons so that we as mentors are not teachers but guides, practicing new skills and even familiar ones in new applications and situations, and in general talking about God, theology, and service. not a bad way to spend time over three consecutive days.

Now comes another phase of the work --- processing what I have learned, organizing and filing all the handouts and materials and notes, and starting to get ready for the next year's sessions. There's always an excitement about beginning a new year of EfM, visiting a different set of common lessons, preparing materials and formats for reflections, preparing the mind to switch gears from student in training to mentor in class.

Still, the aura of the training sessions haven't worn off yet. People I didn't know from Adam's puppy dog Thursday at 2pm are people I have things in common with, people I've shared meals and activities with, people with whom I've shared worship in various forms including a Eucharist. We may never be bosom buddies and, in fact, I may never see most of them again (although I've learned never to say "never") but the hugs, the laughs, the sharing of stuff that really matters to all of us brought us together and bound us together with ties as fine as spider silk but as strong as our commitment to the program.

So now to work. Well, maybe not right this minute or even this evening. I still want to mentally process being home again after coming down from the mountain (ok, maybe only a hundred or so feet higher in altitude but you know what I mean) and think about what I've learned, experienced and received. 

And I can't wait to begin to work through some of the stuff that seemed so incomprehensible just a day or two ago. First, though, I need some Sabbath time.

Thank you, God, for this program, those who work with it, those who train the workers, the students who are embarking on a period of serious study, and for the chance to be part of it all.

1 comment: