Sunday, February 27, 2022

Shortages

Zacchaeus was a wee little man
And a wee little man was he
He climbed up in a sycamore tree
For the Lord he wanted to see

And when the Savior passed that way
He looked up in the tree
[SPOKEN] And said, 'Zacchaeus, you come down!
For I'm coming to your house today!
For I'm coming to your house today!
' --  Unknown

Every now and then, I get an earworm, and the only recourse I have for it is to let it roll around in my head until something else replaces it, or I physically sing or write about it. I have no idea how this one got in my brain a day or so ago. Still, it's become annoying and long past its welcome, as much as I enjoyed singing it in Sunday School, Children's Choir, and Vacation Bible School.

Granted, the story of Zaccheus comes in the gospel of Luke, chapter 19:1-10, which won't be in our Daily Office Lectionary until fall. Yet somehow, I need to think it through before it stays yet another day.

Zaccheus was a short man, probably not the only one in town. Somehow, he was called out for individuality because of: (a) his being a tax collector and therefore having at least two strikes against him, (b) his stature, and (c) his accidental but very fortunate encounter with Jesus, who was passing through. He was desperate to see this wonder-worker and teacher, but he knew he'd never get through the crowd to get close enough so that taller people would not be blocking his view.

If nothing else, Zacch was resourceful and fortunate to be standing near a sycamore tree. He climbed up, perched on a branch, and could see over everyone else's head. His visibility allowed Jesus to stop, look up, acknowledge Zacch's presence, and announce that he, Jesus, was going to visit Zacch in his own home. I don't know how many skid marks Zacch gained on his rush down the tree's trunk to the ground, but any pain would have been worth it.

We often think of short as lacking something, much as Zaccheus's lack of inches in height was to him. Shortages in our bank accounts make us anxious, while being short-changed, whether in money or goods, usually makes us angry. Our stores are experiencing shortages in many material and edible products we need to live, just as many workers show their dissatisfaction with what they consider poverty-level wages. Shortages make prices go up, just as people struggle to get by as best they can and without many things they previously took for granted.

    Something I have been considering today is that there are two things, at least, that we can count on as never being in short supply: God's love and God's grace. God, being so much greater than we can even begin to imagine, can love infinitely and spread grace the same way. Granted, some cannot conceive of, much less accept, such gifts since they are invisible and incomprehensible. They are only perceived by those who have experienced them – much, I bet, as Zaccheus experienced them from his perch on the tree branch.

I think it behooves me to think about with what I am gifted instead of what I lack – in inches or anything else. I will be reminded of Zaccheus again this fall, so I have time to practice climbing my personal sycamore tree in anticipation and wait for the gift to come into my house.

There. The earworm is gone, but the memories of happy times singing the tune and making the gestures that go with it linger. Still, I will be grateful for the memories but will pray for a new tune to start running through my head soon. Maybe "Christ Is Made A Sure Foundation" or "Cwm Rhondda," please?

 

PS: For some interesting information on liturgical practices involving this gospel reading in Eastern Orthodox, Slavic tradition Greek Catholic, and Byzantine/Greek churches of the Eastern churches, please see Liturgical Practices under the heading Zaccheus, Wikipedia. Great Lent begins March 7, 2022.


Originally published at Speaking to the Soul on Episcopal Café, Saturday, February 26, 2022.

No comments:

Post a Comment