Sunday, June 6, 2021

Contemplating Dreams

 

I seem to dream a lot more than I have for years; the Lord only knows why. I went for years without dreaming or remembering that I did dream, much less what it was about. Maybe getting older has something to do with it, but it can be enjoyable, fun, scary, informative, or reminiscent. Sometimes it seems to be a mere story I’m involved in, but at other times it makes me think during the next day or so about what it meant or was trying to teach me.

When I began studying the Education for Ministry (EfM) program in 2005, I was introduced to many different ways of deepening my spiritual life through various types of prayer, contemplation, meditation, and reflection. Over the years, I have found that writing has been one way I felt my spirituality growing and deepening. When I wrote about dreams that I had had that seemed to stick with me even after awakening, I gained new insights into my beliefs, thoughts, and life itself.

One morning I woke after a particularly vivid dream. I’m not sure how it started, but I remember being a slave in China at some point in its history. I was sent to a temple to work. I was given the job of moving a large porcelain turtle from a stand to a cart. I tried to lift and balance it for transfer, but it slipped and shattered on the floor.

I remembered that I was a slave with no rights, no ability to speak, and only harsh words and beatings to look forward to. I knew breaking the turtle would earn me many stripes from the canes and lashes, and that I might die as punishment for being careless, unlucky, or perhaps even overburdened for my size and age. Yet, as terrified and also as sorry as I was at the time, I felt I needed to be humble, to accept my fate, and to try to move without collapsing or staggering. I woke up at that point and spent most of the day trying to coax the ending out of my subconscious, to no avail.

Where did this scenario come from? What was it trying to tell me?  I knew that as a slave, I had no choice as to what I could do, as overseers and others beat people such as me to the point of complete submission. However, the humility I felt was coming from something else, like I had heard someone speak of a sage who encouraged humility from everyone, regardless of their status. It didn’t feel like I had heard of Confucius or any other holy person calling for such action. Still, as a slave, I would not have had the opportunity to hear much of anything other than curses and orders. Was my resignation to my punishment simple capitulation?

What I remember from the dream was that behind the resignation and hopelessness, there was still a glimmer of something, a feeling that someone or something was behind me that was greater than I and that even if I suffered and died, it would matter to someone greater than any of those who would execute me. Of course, I had never heard of God or Jesus, for that matter. Still, as I thought about the dream, it seemed that that moment in time was when I first became aware that even if I were utterly insignificant in the world, I still mattered to God.

I know I was supposed to learn this lesson from my early days. After all, hadn’t one of the most sung Sunday School songs been “Jesus Loves Me”? Yet when I went upstairs to church services, I was continually reminded that I was a sinner, no matter how good I tried to be, and that God did not like sinners. It was a lot for a small girl to take in. It took many years and experiences to even get to the point where this dream would have any meaning for me other than to put me in the place of a slave to learn how hard and dismal such a life could be.

Revisiting this dream has once again allowed me to mine it for other insights. But, unfortunately, I cannot pretend to understand or empathize with those who actually lived and suffered as slaves, even those closer to my own time or in the area where I grew up. Try as I will, and as much as I read about slavery and its ramifications, I still can only imagine what it would be like, much less truly feel the pain and suffering. Perhaps that is something I am supposed to consider more – what it meant to people of that time on both sides of the color line, and how it now needs to be revised to accept all people, regardless of color, ethnicity, and so many other characteristics, as equal, Children of God, and worthy of being accepted as such.

I’m impatient to see what the next dream brings me. I know that I still have much to learn in the time God gives me on this earth. Maybe I will finally have all the answers when the end comes, or perhaps it will just be another learning opportunity. The older I get, the more curious I get about that. Meanwhile, I will continue dreaming and contemplating.

God bless.


Originally published at Speaking to the Soul on Episcopal Café, Saturday, June 5, 2021.

No comments:

Post a Comment