Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Blockages

Not long ago I had a plumbing problem. Something was blocking the line to the skeptic tank (as Dad used to call it) and so some rather unpleasant matter spread across the ground.  Luckily it wasn't my problem to get fixed (other than being disinclined to flush or run water, then calling the park office to inform them of the difficulty)  and it got resolved. Anyway, things have been running as normal, something for which I gave thanks this morning. Don't ask me why I was giving thanks for properly operating plumbing but perhaps it wasn't such a bad thing when I remember people living in places where the offending matter isn't (decently, I think) concealed in below-ground pipes and tanks but rather runs down the street and into waterways that provide water for drinking, cooking and bathing. Yes, perhaps thanksgiving for properly running plumbing isn't such a bad thing after all.

I tried reading last week's EfM lesson again today and gave up. Compare Hegel's view of reality and truth with that of Kierkegaard.  It was enough to make my hair hurt and my brain feel like blocked-up plumbing. Nothin' seems to be goin' through that pipe.  I started reading the questions for this week's lesson only to find it recommends  that I "Compare and contrast Newman's position on 'faith' with that of Hegel and Kierkegaard."  The blockage just got thicker. 

I've wanted to write something for a while now.  Don't ask me what I wanted to write; I don't know. I just needed to write something but couldn't find anything to write about that would mean anything or say anything to anybody of any value much less give me any release.  I just know that there's an internal blockage that is close to a physical pain. Even writing this isn't easing it.

It seems so hard to slog through philosophical ideas and try to untangle concepts that must be important or EfM wouldn't include it in their course work for Year 4.  Still, it's like chasing smoke -- or trying to get through blocked pipes.

Perhaps what is important is what MY position on faith is and how I determine it.  I have faith in God, I believe in the life and ministry of Jesus and the work of the Spirit in the world today. Why do I have these feelings and beliefs?  Honestly, I don't know; I just know I have them and know also that it is impossible for me to be without them. I've tried.

There may be a lot of blockages of various kinds in my life but faith isn't one of them, at least faith that comes in. Faith going out --- the physical, mental, and spiritual effects of faith -- may be another story.  Still, it's what I have to work with, Hegel, Kierkegaard and Newman notwithstanding.  I guess I can handle most of the rest of the blockages as long as that one pipe is clear and free-flowing.  Thank God for the pipe of grace that doesn't block up.

No comments:

Post a Comment