Sunday, May 25, 2008

It seems to be the right time to finally begin blogging on this new venture. After all, I've had it for several months, just haven't had the time or ambition (or courage) to stick my toe in the water, so to speak.

"Jericho's Daughter" refers to Rahab, sometimes referred to as an innkeeper and sometimes as a harlot, who lived in the Canaanite town of Jericho. It was she who hid Joshua's spies and helped to smuggle them out of the city, thus indirectly helping to bring about the destruction of the walls of her city. Funny how people remember her as a harlot, seldom as a figure of courage and even less frequently as one of the ancestors mentioned in the genealogy of Jesus.

I'm no Rahab. I don't own an inn, am not a harlot, don't have a family for which I am responsible, and don't have the courage to let down walls I've erected for my own safety. Still, I could do worse than meditate on Rahab and what motivated her to do as she did. it could be a very salubrious exercise.

1 comment:

  1. Rahab is one of my favorites -- I wrote about her in Div School. She was probably an independent business woman running an inn. Called a harlot because of her independence no doubt. She was able to see God across the boundaries of tribe -- that is what I like about her.

    ReplyDelete